Try NEFF's tasty Christmas cranberry and orange muffins for when the family come around this December. The light and fluffy muffins are perfect served with tea or coffee and are the ideal Christmas night treat or Stephen's day cure.
100g dried cranberries
200g plain flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ level teaspoon bread soda
½ level teaspoon salt
150g caster sugar
finely grated zest of 1½ oranges
100ml orange juice
2 eggs well beaten
100g butter, melted and cooled
75g walnut pieces chopped
75g chopped mixed nuts.
200g cream cheese
100g icing sugar, sifted finely
grated rind of half an orange
1 tsp orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
3. Roughly chop the cranberries. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bread soda and salt. Mix in the sugar.
4. Whisk together the orange zest, juice and eggs, fold into the flour with the melted butter. Add the cranberries and nuts. Mix all the ingredients together until just combined. Don’t over mix!
5. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases and bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
7. While the muffins are cooking make the icing. Beat the cream cheese until soft. Add the icing sugar, orange rind and juice and beat well for about 1 minute.
8. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto the tops of the muffins.